It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

aawww they are absolute sweethearts. So lovely to have two such happy confident kittens, and lap cats too. None of mine are lap cats, the only time they sleep on us is at night. Your going to have so much fun with them, look forward to seeing more pics and hearing about their antics.

Jules

Taz, Jasmin and Moshi, never forgotten, always loved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi & welcome to you & your two little princes :D
They are definately in the fuzzies judging by those piccies, you'll be amazed at how clear the coats will look in comparison over the coming weeks :wink:
I did laugh at the toilet story too, especially after just reading of Julie (Seamuskitty)'s kitten who dived in while daddy was using it! :lol:
At least your experience wasn't quite so messy but he won't learn LOL.
Look forward to hearing all about them & their adventures :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi everyone and thank you for your messages and the wonderful welcome to the forum. What a mine of information and support this forum is! I'm so glad I found it.

Wills' and Harry's latest adventure was a trip to the vets to get their second jab. They were the subject of much admiration (which they duly enjoyed) as our small village practice hadn't seen any bengals before. The first surprise came when they were weighed - the vet thought the scales must be broken! Although they aren't especially big, it turns out they are quite heavy for their age compared to standard moglets - must be all that raw meat (of which more in another post, I'm sure). Hehe, Wills is 1.6 kilos, a beautiful 'square' kitten, and Harry slightly smaller and rangier. His back legs are so long, it looks like they're constantly going to trip him up!

Anyway, the jabs went well (not even a meep, I was such a proud kitten mummy), but I did raise the point that they were still sneezing and snuffling quite a lot, and have been since we got them. At the first jab, the vet told me just to keep an eye out. It is a lot better, and has never affected their appetite or playfulnes, but definitely still there - and seems to trouble Will at night, bless him. He sounds so blocked up and snuffly. He always greets us in the morning with a sneeze in the face - yummy! :lol:

And to my slight surprise the vet's diagnosis was...CHLAMYDIA :shock: :oops: OMG! Since this a sexually transmitted infection in humans I was rather outraged at Wills and Harry's apparent and somewhat premature naughtiness :wink: However, (fortunately) it seems that they aren't quite the lotharios I quite imagined, and that chlamydia can be a secondary infection following on from a virus caught whilst still part of the litter. So W. and H. have some delicious antibiotics to take next week once the jab has taken effect. Any advice on how to get wayward cats to swallow tablets gratefully accepted!

The jab did cause Will to feel a bit off colour (he spent yesterday cuddled up under our woodburning stove and didn't budge all day) but they are now fully recovered and spent the morning discovering their latest plaything - their tails. Lovely to watch, not quite so lovely if they decide to attack whilst still on your lap!

I'll leave you with a few pictures of Wills and Harry discovering life just outside the front door.

Wills turns out to be a bit of a wuss:

Harry is somewhat braver but finds the snow a tad confusing:

[Image

Wills discovers the relaxing properties of lavender..*nom nom nom*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aw what gorgeous pictures, glad their trip to the vets was a success, as for tablets you could try wrapping them in ham or chicken? I know Ginny recommends putting butter on the tablet to help it slide down kittys throat...

Good luck with it...

miki xx

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi - gorgeous pictures.

If you're giving them the tablets direct, then yes smearing them in butter can help and then get it as far to the back of the throat as possible. If they're easily fooled (most Bengals aren't :lol: ) then wrapping the tablet in cooked chicken can work - again, smearing in butter first can help mask the smell a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lovely pics...love his lavender snack. I used to take an eyedropper andbput a little milk or water in it and squirt some liquid in my kittie's mouth after putting the pill in to encourage her to swallow...she wasn't a Bengal however, lol!

http://www.youtube.com/user/luvbengalz#p/u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to you and your gorgeous boys. I have two boys also and your pictures remind me of when they were that age. Rest assured that they are still very bonded to each other. 1 of my boys had a clear coat from 13 weeks but the other has fuzzies until about 7 months and is still developing. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thank you everyone for all the expertise about pill dispensing! I'll let you know how I get on when I start my attempts next week.

I was glad to hear that your two are still closely bonded Trudi. Wills and Harry are never apart and I'd love them to be good company for each other always. I love to hear them racing up and down the stairs - if they lose each other, the house is filled with little 'where are you bro?' chirps and brrrps until they can pounce on each other again. And they love to sleep with their arms wrapped around each other *oops cuteness overload*

It's not easy to tell who will be dominant yet as they seem to take it in turns during their rough-and-tumbles. I'll keep you posted with the progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum :D
They both look so sweet, I bet you're having fun with them!
As for the tablets, I am a true 'pill popper' convert since having to give antibiotics to my little fella, it made it so easy. It's a little gadget a bit like a syringe that the pill goes in the end of. All you have to do is open their mouth, stick the end in and fire! My vet gave to me it and said some people like it and others don't, I loved it! Hope you find a way of getting the tabs down them without to much stress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it is chlamydia a weeks antibiotics will only send the symptoms away. They will come back. To get rid of Chlamydia its either six weeks with doxycycline or a month with zithromax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

*remembers her last cat and tablets*

*shudders*

he'd hide them under his tongue and pretend to swallow, and then spit them out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Beba, saw your latest post and immediately thought of this ..... its of absolutely no use at all :roll: - but it might raise a smile :lol:

****** How to Give a Cat a Tablet ********

Pick the cat up and cradle in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into it, allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind the sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call partner in from garden.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get partner to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from the foil wrap. Make note to buy a new rule and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered 'Doulton' figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get partner to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pills not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply plaster to partners forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbours shed and get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon and flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road and apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid the cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

Tie cats front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed and pry cat's mouth open with a small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a pint of water down throat to wash down pill.

Get partner to drive you to A & E and sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Arrange for Bengal Rescue to collect cat. Ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

spelng ... who ndees it ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ha ha Gilly!

http://www.youtube.com/user/luvbengalz#p/u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If we have a totally evil piller, we crush the table to a powder, add a small amount of water and syringe it down. Much easier :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

In terms of giving tablets, I always crush the tablet then wrap it in ham that has a little cream cheese on it.

I've done this for years with our dog and previous cats. I hasn't failed yet.

Katie xx