It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi!!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I left it to Hubby after the passing of our beloved 16 year old kitty "Spaz" to make the decision about bringing a new kitty into our home. He decided he wanted a Bengal, so off we went to some local cat shows just to get some information.

At a cat show in March, we met a bunch of Bengal breeders, some good breeders and some not so nice ones. After a while we found ourselves chatting with a couple who engaged us in conversation telling us all about the cats and how the showing/judging works. They had been running a cattery for quite some time at that point and had brought some of their kittens and cats to the show. Some were for showing and one little 5 month old guy they had brought in hopes of finding a good home. A match was made and we negotiated a really good price for him.

We brought him home named him "Benny" and over a couple of months he never really seemed to thrive, never managed to weigh over 5 lbs. Our vet was concerned as were we, they started in on bloodwork, x-rays, the whole lot; and then after all other possibilities were weeded out, they came up with a possible diagnoses...FIP. We kept him comfortable and after about a month when his eyesight went we brought him back to the vet for the last time. He breathed his last breath in the middle of June.

We were in contact with the breeder the whole time as with the contract we signed we had to inform them if any of their cats have to be euthanized. Amazingly, our breeder had never heard of FIP but they learned about it from other breeders their vet and by using the internet. They were absolutely devistated and to our amazement they offered us the pick of the litter from any of their cats.

By September, we brought "Theo" home. He's a beautiful rosetted beauty and has wormed his way into our hearts. He and my dog Ginger have bonded, Theo follows my 3 and a half year old son around who adores him. Theo is an absolute nut and we couldn't be happier.

I hope this is the appropriate way to introduce myself as I'd love the opportunity to share my love of this breed with others, and to glean some information.

Sher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome to the forum. What an awful experience with Benny - sadly we hear too many similar stories. I'm so pleased you've got Theo and are enjoying him so much - Bengals are a wonderful breed aren't they.

Hope you enjoy the forum - any questions feel free to ask, there are lots of experienced owners and breeders on here.

There's only one thing missing from your introduction - we need piccies of Theo :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sher and Welcome!
I'm sorry to hear about Benny. FIP is a terrible thing that can happen to any one of our beloved felines, even when we do not expect it. :(

Theo sounds adorable and you are lucky to have such a sweetie.

Of course, Ginny is SO right when she says the only thing missing is some piccies of the lovely lad? :wink: :lol: :lol:

http://www.bengalbreedersunited.co.uk

Last edited by Suntouched on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear of your loss but glad you have enough love to give to another Bengal baby. We definitely need pictures! Selina x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sher & welcome here :D
How sad for you to lose your first baby to the awful FIP. Rest in peace little one :cry: .
Thank goodness you went with the breeders you felt comfortable with & they treated you right throughout the ordeal & now you have your lovely Theo, yay!
Can't wait to see pics of the handsome lad :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

*hugs tight* benny was lucky to get you, honey! and eeeeeeeeeee for theo! love the name *grins to self and chuckles* *coughs* anyway...

can't wait to see pics! welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

OMG!! Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Ok, here are a couple:

These were taken in Sept or October, the rest are in my camera waiting for me to upload.

Sher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

omg! look at those ears! and that little tail! eheheheheheh!

*scritches behind theo's ears* he's stunning! looking forward to more pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a beauty!!! lovely markings. I am so sorry to hear of the ordeal you went through and I am heartened that the Breeders treated you so very decently.

I hope little Theo brings you decades of joy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Theo is just adorable, especially like his coloring. So sorry about the heartbreak you experienced.

http://www.youtube.com/user/luvbengalz#p/u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Sher and welcome,

So so sorry to hear about Benny that must have been really hard.

So glad you have Theo, its sounds like he's fitted into the family perfectly.

Beautiful pictures. He's a gorgeous boy.

Taz, Jasmin and Moshi, never forgotten, always loved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks so much!!! I've been lurking on here for a while now but felt it time to introduce myself and my story.

I wish I had more current pictures because he has changed so much. He has grown into those big ears he has, his face has started to fill out too. His markings have become more distinctive and the glitter, OMG I can't believe how much he has at this stage as he is only 6 months old.

Is 11lbs big for this age?? The vet thinks he will grow to be nearly 20lbs. That's big for a bengal isn't it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awww what a cutie! It's amazing how quickly they change when they are little, blink & you miss some of the development :lol:
It sounds like he is going to be one huge cuddly boy!