It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello (from London)
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi everyone :D

I too have been spying on this forum ever since my boyfriend put a deposit down on a bengal for my birthday! :oops: To be honest, I wasn't really aware of these beautiful animals until he sent me a picture, but I absolutely cannot wait. He will be here in 9 days, I've already been waiting for 5 weeks, and it feels like a lifetime!

When I get him, I will put some pics up, I've called him Simba, and just noticed there is another Simba on this site.. so hello!

The girl I live with already has a 3 year old moggie, so we've been reading all about introducing them and tips and advice, but I am still deliberating whether or not to allow him outside though. I have read the many threads of others facing the same dilema, but still cant decide!

Her cat is out most of the time, so I wouldnt want Simba getting jealous. But I live on a street with a lot of parked cars, although no one really passes through, if you're driving down my road, its pretty much because you live there. Also, there is a slightly strange woman down the road, who puts food out for all the cats, don't get me wrong, this is sweet, but she does it daily, and I wanted to have control over my cats diet. However, she would get really upset if I said anything to her...

Any comments would be welcomed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing Simba.

The decision about whether to let them out is a personal one which isn't easy to make. I've always let mine out but I've suffered the consequences by losing 2 to the road even though I live in a really quiet, rural area. I still do let them out and I think they're now experienced enough that it's as safe as it can ever be for them. There's probably some truth in the view that Bengals don't have as much road sense as moggies because they haven't had generations of experience passed down. Personally I wouldn't let my cats out if I still lived in Manchester where all that was outside was streets and cars but it's a harder choice if you've got a garden or if there is green land around. You could look into some sort of outside enclosure, accessible from the house - there are a few on here who've done that very successfully - and you can also train them to walk on a leash so that they get some outdoor time. If you decide not to let your Bengal out, you'll need to work out ways of stopping Simba getting out when your flatmate's cat goes out.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by ginnym on Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hey Ginnym, thank you for your reply, nice to meet you.

I'm sorry to hear about your previous cats, we lost our family cat, and it took me ages to get over it :(

Luckily, my house mate doesnt have a cat flap, her cat just stands at the door and mieows when he wants to go out. I bought a leash, and will try and get Simba used to it straight away so he doesnt get cross with me!!

Seriously, these last 9 days are going to go so SLOWW!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome yes the wait always seems really slow i have still a long wait for mine my breeders cat just had kittens may 1st and i have 13 weeks to wait.

I would make sure if you do put simba on a leash and harness you should get one thats nice and soft if you can find one so that it wont take the hair off his armpits and chest. Do you own where you live or do you just rent. If you own you should try building an outside place where even both cats can be safe after they get use to each other and if not then yeah i would try and find one that maybe has soft fabric on the inside. I think it would be awesome if i can take my bengal kitten outside but stats in the contract we have that we are unable too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:57 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi TiasMom

I rent, but its my friends house... perhaps I could suggest it to her, at the end of the day, I could always take it down if I moved out..

can anyone tell me how much it costs to microchip? I wanted to do this when I got him neutered, kill two birds with one stone!

P.s.. I'm not on this forum all day... hmmm :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

KittenCat wrote:
can anyone tell me how much it costs to microchip? I wanted to do this when I got him neutered, kill two birds with one stone!

P.s.. I'm not on this forum all day... hmmm :oops:

It can vary from vet to vet - mine were about £20 each when done while being neutered but it would have been more done separately. It also depends on whether you go for one of the standard microchips or a biotherm one which records body temperature and is more expensive. It's probably worth ringing your vet to find out what they charge for neutering, microchipping etc so that you know ready for when the time comes and also ask at what age they recommend neutering. Another thing to ask is if they do any sort of initial health check - mine does a free check if you take a new animal down and register it with them. However, I live in the rural north and I get the impression that our vets are less commercial than some down south :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 pm 
Senior Bengal

Ok, £20 sounds good! (obviously I will check first!) someone told me £120! So I sort of budgeted for that.. hopefully it is a lot less.. more money to spend on toys! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

KittenCat wrote:
Ok, £20 sounds good! (obviously I will check first!) someone told me £120! So I sort of budgeted for that.. hopefully it is a lot less.. more money to spend on toys! :lol:

It would need to be gold plated for that money :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hello Kittencat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one spying on the forum before signing on ;) What a nice BF, you have, giving you a cat and all! What kind is it? Female/male, spotted/marbled?

I still have roughly two weeks to go, and I'm preparing all the practical stuff now :D Take a look at zooplus.co.uk, they have lots and lots of cool stuff.

I would probably try to get permission to built an enclosure, then you wouldn't have to worry about the crazy lady feeding your kitten or dangerous cars.

I look forward to see pretty kitten pictures ;)

/Rilou

P.s. Ginnym, what's that biotherm chip? Why would you want to use those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Rilou wrote:
P.s. Ginnym, what's that biotherm chip? Why would you want to use those?

It reads the cat's temperature so a vet can just scan for it rather than sticking a thermometer up their bum :lol: I'm not convinced they're worth the extra expense to be honest, but the cats might disagree :lol: another reason mine don't have that sort is because they have a catflap that scans for the microchip before it opens and those catflaps don't work properly with biotherm chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi welcome to the form :D

what a lovely birthday pressie for you! i bet you can't wait :D

tiasmom brought up a very good point about allowing cats to free roam outside, that her contract states she can't do it. some of us breeders do put it in our contracts that they are only allowed outside on a lead & harness, or in a safe enclosure...to protect them. even after they move in with their new families we still feel resonsible for the welfare & safety...so it is worth checking with your breeder what their requirements are & it might save you the worry of making that decision if it is already made for you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

woohoo i brought up a good point :D :lol: never thought i would hear that since i am still quite the newb and have alot to learn. But thats what i like about this forum everyone teaches you alot of different things. Also make sure if you are getting your cat from a breeder you follow the contract ours also says we are unable to declaw which we would never do and i think that is how many cats and kittens end up at rescues or on the streets many people do not follow contracts and then they end up finding something out and they give their cat or kitten up. I am also shocked at some people who get a cat from a breeder and usually it always stats if you are unable to keep said cat or kitten that it should be returned to the breeder so they can find a new home for them i have seen many either give their cats to the rescue or try and find a home for the cats themselves usually just to make a pretty penny because they know they wont get any money back because they decided not take care of the animal anymore.

And here pictures are a must as soon as possible!! Thats the rule lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Kittencat and welcome - I live in a cul de sac with no thru traffic but there is still a lot of traffic crossing the bottom of the road. I lost my prev Bengal Amber 2 yrs ago to this same road. I have two relatively young Bengals (9 months ands 6.5 months) and an older moggy who is about 13 yrs. We have recently decided to let our cats out but with restrictions - only when we are home, only out the back door so they go straight into the garden and we only call them in from the back door so that is there access in and out - certainly NOT allowed out after dark altho Khan has started to swear when he cant go out to play then - we also constantly call them back to the house every half hour or so to get them into the habit of staying close to the house. We do have a cat flap but it has been locked since we got the kittens when they were younger and my moggy Taz has now adapted very quickly to "asking" to go out if he needs to. A really hard decision but my fear has always been if they did escape what would happen then - I know of someone with two Siamese who had never been outside - she was burgled and the cats escaped - they were found safe but were terrified by the experience.... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tracy wrote:
Khan has started to swear when he cant go out to play

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:46 am 
Senior Bengal

Hello everyone!

It was really nice to log on this morning and find more replies! (this site is going to get really addictive!)

He is a male brown spotted, when I was speaking to the breeder I expressed concerns about letting him out, but he said it was entirely up to me, so I am guessing it's not in the contract. All he wants me to do is make sure I neuter him (which I would have done anyway), as I bought him as a show neuter.

It's ridiculous.. when this kitten finally arrives, I'm going to want to take him everywhere with me and not let him out of my site.. I even dreamt that he came to work with me?!?! I think I need to calm down! ha ha

I have a couple of pics on my phone.. but haven't got the lead to upload, so as soon as I get camera pics, you will be the first to see!