It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just so you all know, my bengals have managed to break their cat tree. It's a ceiling high one from zooplus, the kind you unscrew until it's tall enough to brace against the ceiling. That clearly wasn't enough support for these two 4.5-5kg heifers who started to fight over the hammock. They were leaping from my desk and wardrobe right up to that height and wrestling with each other, causing the top to wobble and eventually snap halfway through. I didn't notice any of this as I was reading until the top portion fell on my leg.

luckily (?) I know med students at the A&E dept so I skipped the queue in return for experimental stitches. The cats, of course, leapt away from danger without a whisker out of place.

But please take note if others of you have these sorts of trees, screw them into your ceilings before its too late! It was properly fitted to it braced tightly against the ceiling but the amount that they made it sway from side to side was too much, so people with older or bigger cats may end up with this happening as well. I've only had it since August, so not really ancient and faulty.

Anyway, I'm off to redeem some sympathy hot chocolate xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ooh, naughty kitties. I've often wondered how robust those full height trees are - obviously not Bengal-proof :lol:

Hope your leg is OK and the hot chocolate is good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

little monsters!
hope your leg heals quickly.
it's a good reminder to make sure the screw fixture is tightened up now and again...just off to check mine now :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ours isn't a ceiling one and it's rocked a few times. Luckily they both seem to have their favourite hammock. I actually bought an extra one for the other side, so I'm glad I did!

It's just the blanket business I have to watch out for...

We're on Facebook! www.facebook.com/jupiter.victor

Visit the Jupiter and Victor TV Channel!
www.justin.tv/jupitervictor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh dear! Hope your leg recovers soon! :(
I have experience with this...we've got a ceiling cat tree from Zoo plus and our son decided to climb up it one afternoon, a few weeks ago, whilst I'd popped out to the garden with some recycling.

Cue entire cat tree crashing down on him and knocking him to the floor, bumping his head. A very quick trip to hospital ensued, but luckily he was fine... :?
We have now bought some brackets which hold the middle section of the tree to the wall.

The fixing at the top is not strong enough to hold for very long, once it's been climbed up a few times, it does wobble a bit and needs adjusting.
Especially if you have artexed ceilings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a mid height tree that my Yuki would knock over all. the. time.

I even tried nailing the darned thing into the wall, just to have him loosen it over time.

Bengals are definitely a strong bunch. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah, my leg's fine as it's just a gash. At the moment I've put the top half on the floor so they have two mini-trees, they're not too impressed that the hammock no longer overlooks the whole room but it's their fault :roll: definitely going to be screwing it into the wall and ceiling when I get the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They sound a proper mischievious pair :D I bet it was fun trying to explain the leg injury to the doctors - battered by a cat tree :D Hope the injury heals quickly and that the little furry monsters have learnt their lesson :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There's a shop on ebay called Albany Pets who do loads of different cat trees and (so far) all the ones we have are proving plenty strong enough for them! Would definitely recommend a look......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got mine from them and it's pretty sturdy. It's not a ceiling one though - I guess they get less secure the higher they are.