It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm a journalist, semi-retired. I write about environmental issues, mainly fracking. I've also begun a book about the cats in my life. Doris Lessing's PARTICULARLY CATS . . . AND RUFUS is one of the truly great animal books, and an impossible act to follow, as is MY DOG TULIP by JR Ackerley. But I may persist . . . . In late May I saw an ad for a young female Bengal whose owner was leaving for the Dominican Republic for his work; he couldn't take her with him. I knew something about Bengals, having done a lot of research about cat breeds after the last of my beloved trio of Siamese siblings died at nearly 20. I'd originally decided a Bengal probably wasn't the cat for me, but having seen the ad I went to visit her and committed to her. I was so naive I didn't ask for pedigree papers - on the other hand the pedigree wasn't uppermost in my mind. She was a lovely cat with the most beautiful, perpetually astonished-looking eyes! You've all read my distressed complaints about Bella's temperament. Many thanks to Sherry for taking me to true task; this was indeed my problem and not Bella's - I'm at a stalemate in my work, no longer travel as I used to do for reporting, so I'm at home probably too much. It's something of a kind of forced retirement and I'm having BIG problems adjusting. I guess I just got fixated on cats . . . . well, anyway. What was I going to say. I've been in touch with the sister of Bella's former owner, and she has given me information about Bella that makes me understand my lovely cat better. For instance: her ferocity at the vet's -- she turned into a demon, growling, hissing, clawing. One vet simply gave up. At the next clinic they had to swaddle her to take her temperature and her blood. What I didn't know was this: she had a terrible experience of being spayed. I don't know exactly what happened, but it was very traumatic for her. The sister of her former owner just brought tears to my eyes when she told me. She also said that Bella is "very needy even though she may not seem to be" and that she needs lots of affection. Which also brought tears to my eyes. So I promptly went into the living room where Bella lay on the dining room table and began kissing her all over and talking to her. Whereupon she licked my face many times. I cried. So there we are. This has been like the rocky start of a marriage! I've composed a song for her and for those of you with knowledge of music I'll transcribe it at some point. The lyrics are: "Hello, my Bella, Bella, Bella. Hello, my Bella Bengal cat; hello, my Bella, Bella, Bella. I love you, and you love me, and that is that!"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a truly beautiful and inspiring post about you and Bella. I don't know if you intended a photo to be with your post, but one was not there. You can attach a picture through the green bar just below your composing screen.

Veterinarians are not a cat's best friend, that's for sure. But when a cat has a traumatic experience, it can stay with them forever. There may be a mobile vet in your area who will come to your home to treat her and give her vaccinations or whatever she may need.

It is difficult to remember that cats do not have the brain capability of a human and change for a cat is never easy or quick. Humans have this expectation -- and our pets sometimes cannot meet them. Thus, it is up to us, the humans, to conform, which you have done. Bella loves you. Every time she licks your nose, she's saying "I love you." Many bengals are quite needy cats. They thrive on being with their owners and want to be social. Bengals are more like 2 year old toddlers than a cat.

Bella is giving you a great gift -- all you need to do is accept it. Bless you for giving this baby a great home.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you, Sherry, again and again. She IS a wonderful cat. My husband and I are cracking up all the time over her antics. BTW, her special job in the morning while I read the paper is to sit and shred it bit by bit, chewing on it and methodically spitting out each little bit. I'll send a couple of videos if I can manage it. I think the accompanying photo is my facebook photo, the one with Bella peeking through the slats of a chair. Everyone who visits says what a beautiful cat she is. She isn't the sort of marbled or leopard-colored Bengal so many members of this group have. She is sort of "tabby-colored," but with definite spots, two "angel wings" on her shoulders, and leopard-arrows. Once I manage to upload photos you can tell me what you think. As I was too ignorant to ask for pedigree papers I will never know what generation Bengal she is . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

BTW her tummy is particularly yummy. More "leopard" in color, with lovely spots, and she lets me kiss it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a rocky start with my bengal Oscar. He was 7 when we got him from a rescue centre. I truly did not think there would ever be a connection between us. I was very wary, and if i'm honest, a little scared of him. All the cats i'd had in the past had been cuddly lap cats who were pretty soppy. All of a sudden I had a full on, 'in your face' Bengal with issues. I panicked and wondered what on earth I had done! Two and a half years down the line.........Oscar is the soppiest, most ridiculous, affectionate cat I have ever had! He is all these things but with the bengal 'edge' to him. This forum has been a lifeline to me. Reading the experiences of others is hugely beneficial and I have learned so much. Good luck with Bella. She will change from day to day as she settles with you.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am trying to download photos but I think I'll probably have to get some help. I did attach, or thought I'd attached, a photo, but a message came back that it was too big. I'll see if I can downsize and try again.

Thanks, "spitspot," for your story about Oscar. My. Seven is a quite late age for a cat to be adopted and to change -- at least in my experience. It's terrific that Oscar as become so demonstrable. I'm not wishing for anything about Bella anymore, just that I can make her feel as loved and happy as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Trying again with a fresh post, to upload. If it doesn't work this time I'll get my husband's help. Sigh. I hate to do that! PAUSE. Shoot! I uploaded my photos from my iPhone to my computer and now all I can access is the whole bunch. Sorry. I'll try later.