It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My name is Sarah, I'm a 31yr old veterinary Technician(nurse) with 2 kids and a great husband. I am a small animal rehabilitation therapist and have 5 cats, 2 dogs and foster for a local cat rescue. I have one Bengal named Waffles. She is a two year old gold rosettes f5 female. She has thoracic kyphosis (scoliosis) and has difficulty retracted her claws and is clumsy on her front legs occasionally. I got her from a breeder at 12weeks old because she wanted her in an experienced home who could handle her disability. She is beautiful and lovey and smart and fun but good lord can she be a bad cat as well. She is very bonded to me and I love her like crazy but am very excited for a place to get advice and ideas on how to handle her Bengal quirks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Awwwws waffles is such a lovely lucky girl! Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Waffles is beautiful! ALL bengals are quirky! That's just the breed! Bless you for taking in Waffles into your heart and home. We're here if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am 
Bengal Kitten

Well as far as keeping a Bengal happy and out of trouble here is what I usually recommend. Obviously with he special needs some things may be harder than others but here is my two cents. I find have a ridiculous amount of toys is a must. And I am always bringing in new ones and swapping out what he doesn't play with anymore. (He has learned to always check out the grocery bags hoping to find a new toy waiting) I find that being as smart as Bengals are my boy needs a lot of variety in toy type and number to keep him happy. Another thing is having a really good cat tree with hidey holes, perches and a climbable surface. My Loki can't get high enough and he loves to climb up things. Without the tree he is at the door casings, the couch and even the curtains! LOL If your baby has the usual water obsession I recommend a drinking fountain water bowl. Your cat will watch and play with that thing for hours! Teaching games like fetch are great because they let your cat get out tons of energy and bond with you without you having to expend much yourself :) If Loki gets the wild kitty crazies during my favorite shows I can sit there and play fetch with him while I watch and he totally thinks he is getting my full attention. A toy on an elastic attached to a stick works great for that too. It's like a self bouncing toy, I just have to hold the stick. Basically, just keep em busy and you got a good kitty. As crazy as this one will sound, I have found that bengals LOVE blankets and toys that are spotted like them. They go right for them so it's a good way to encourage your little baby leopard onto the places you want and off of the places you don't. If you find that in a day you have done all this stuff and your baby is still going nuts something might be off in her environment. Check food water, cat box etc. and then see if maybe a strange animal is outside to explain it. I find that cats in general and bengals especially don't do things for no reason. If they are acting up, something IS wrong. You just have to find it. Worst case is that she isn't feeling well and that is how she is letting you know. If out of the ordinary crazy went on for more than a couple of days I would consider a vet check. I hope this helps. I tried to cover just about everything. Let us know how it goes/what you think. Good luck with your beautiful baby.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:35 am 
Bengal Cat

OMG he is a beauty!! And waffles! I always seem to gravitate to food names for cats. Maybe because I love to eat! I have had a tangerine, a snickers, a streudel, a Chinese buffet and currently have a Won ton. All named appropriately due to their fur color! Chinese Buffet was a rescue found outside an actual Chinese buffet. My Bengal is named Koneko. It's japenese for little cat. Prolly not very original, but he seems to like it.