It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Bengal Owner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:32 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have 3 large breed dogs (all very well trained) but we have recently moved to the country and have always planned to get a cat.
Our youngest was watching a TV program and we saw our first Bengal! WOW!! Beautiful.
After doing some research and contacting a breeder, we have been waiting for almost 2 months to get our baby.
We pick up Izzy next week :biggrin:

I was excited to find that not only is the Bengal beautiful but apparently very intelligent as well.
I joined this forum to learn as much as I can about our newest family member.

Post subject: Re: New Bengal Owner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your upcoming arrival. I hope you have spent time either reading this forum or googling bengal cats. My first concern is with the three large dogs. Members of this forum have had dogs kill their bengals. Unless the breeder has dogs and has socialized her kittens around them, you might have an issue. Bengals have sharp claws and teeth and can do some serious damage to dogs. Of course, there are many situations where dogs and bengals get along famously.

You will need to start by keeping your new baby in a "safe" room with food, water, litter box and bed. This allows the kitty to decompress in moving to a new environment with new smells, new people -- and barking dogs. Your baby may be terrified and want to hide. The best thing is to be with the kitty and read or talk softly. Since you live in the country, your dogs may be outdoors a lot. I would introduce your kitty to one at a time and see how that goes.

Also, since you are in the country, you may be inclined to let your bengal roam the outdoors. I do not advise that. If you have the room, create a nice outdoor enclosure or run for the kitty. You've spent money and waited weeks for this new baby ... so make sure this kitty stays safe and has many, many years with you.