It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:49 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, I am new to forums in general. But thought this looks like a good place to start!
I have a 4 ½ year old Bengal, Loki. He is amazing and is so much fun. So friendly and playful. He is my first Bengal and I cannot believe how amazing these cats are!!!
Due to his amazingness…. He will likely have a sister soon (6 weeks away). Another Bengal, 12 weeks old named Luna. This is actually what lead me to this forum. Just doing my research on introducing a kitten to an older cat and more specifically, a Bengal to another Bengal. So any wise words from anyone regarding this will be appreciated.

I look forward to discussing all things Bengal with you all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Woohoo. Welcome on board. I love this forum and it's great to see more Aussie's.
Would love to see some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you have read the topics on introducing your kitten to your bengal, starting with putting the kitten in a "safe" room with food, water, litter box, beds, etc. Of course, we have members who have introduced their cats immediately and had no problems. So much depends on the personality of your older kitty. Just know that your kitten will be stressed out by leaving mom and siblings and coming to a new home with new people and smells. So, patience is the key and make sure the two are never left alone together until they are best friends. The easiest way to introduce them is to start swapping smells from each other. Then you can feed them in the same general area and play with them together using wand toys for each. Hold the new kitten while the older kitty sniffs. Hopefully, within weeks, they will be best friends. Congratulations on Luna.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cheers all the way to Downunder...

You and I are in the same boat. Sherry did sum it up above. However, my Snickers didn't (and still cannot) accept me closing a door between me and her from day one. And I'm afraid the new kitten may refuse to get locked up in a room alone. So I'm counting on having proper smooth introduction fully supervised of course.

How's Loki around other cats?

Snickers is very submissive to male cats in general. While female cats are either friends or foes right from the start. Not sure why! I'm hopeful since the new kitten is a male, she'll accept him quickly.

Keep us posted how things go at your end. And welcome to the forum again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:09 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi again!
Thanks for the tips Sherry and thank you everyone for the warm welcomes.

At this stage, we have started to prep the house for the new one’s arrival. I have had many discussions with Loki regarding this but it’s like he doesn’t speak English or something… Anyways, Luna will have a room to herself at the start and it will remain her “safe room” if she needs. It has a window so she can see out, will have litter, a bed, toys. We are making her a new cat tower. My wife will be working from home for the first 3 weeks that we have Luna. So she will move her laptop into Luna’s room so that Luna is not alone. We have a feliway diffuser that some say helps calm the kitties, others say it does nothing but figured it wouldn’t hurt.
So we are prepared for the slow introduction process if needed.
When I am not working, I will be making sure Loki knows that I am still his human. Loki bonded to me more than anyone else. Luna we hope will bond with my wife a little more. In the hope that we avoid or minimize the chance of jealous cats.
My only concern is, does anyone think Loki might change his behavior towards us with and after the introduction of another cat?
Loki has not had much exposure to other cats. Just cats that visit our yard randomly. He is not a fan of them I must say. However, this is more of an intruder then a cat introduction. Loki is an indoor cat apart from his time on a lead. He is very very social with humans including kids.
As of this week, Loki has been to the vet twice for different blood tests so the poor guy has had a stressful week. He will likely be visiting the vet again soon. For further tests/examinations so we do hope this is nothing and that it's sorted before Luna comes home. Don’t want to cause too much stress all at once!

Thanks again for welcoming me to this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:41 am 
Senior Bengal

Welcome fellow Aussie!
We are soon to add a little friend to our home and our 4 month old Bengal. Your concern is also my biggest worry, i do hope it does not change how Aiko is with us as she is so cuddly and sleeps with us every night and i would hate for that to change!!