It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brand New Bengal Mommy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello from the states!

I found a listing on Craigslist for two gorgeous one year old cats needing a new home. I made arrangements to meet them and and when I walked in I thought they looked a lot like Bengals. The owners didn't know if they were or not as they had not ever taken them to a vet. :sad: I brought my two babies home last night and as I watched them and did some internet research I am quite sure I have two gorgeous Bengal cats! I should be working but I am soaking up all the information I can on these amazing cats so that I can give them the best home possible. I just wanted to say hello and show off these sweet babies! Their names are Morgan and Penelope. Penelope is a fearless princess who, in typical Bengal style, will let you know how she feels. I haven't been able to pet her more than a couple strokes down her back and if you need to pick her up be ready for a struggle. Morgan is more reserved but won't hesitate to make his feelings known. He told me exactly what he thought of being in a carrier on the way home! He does love a good chin rub and rewarded me with a couple short cuddles last night. I love this picture as you can see the glitter on their coats!

Starr
Alabama, United States

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Starr. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your babies. They certainly do resemble bengals. Just know that going to a new home is stressful for the kitties. A whole new environment with new smells, new surroundings, new people. Give it some time and have a lot of patience and within a month, you will see a huge difference in them. They are gorgeous kitties!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks, Sherry! We are taking things slow and I'm letting them lead me. I'm just keeping plenty of food and water available (need to fatten these babies up a little), keeping the litter box scooped, and letting them tell me when they want to play or need a chin rub. They are starting to come around. The first night Penelope slept at the very end of my bed and last night she slept a little closer to me. This morning I was rewarded with a short snuggle session with her before I got out of bed. They are unsure of what is going on when my outside dog barks. They don't completely freak out and hide but they do stop what they are doing and crouch down. Last night Morgan went to the window to look out and see what the ruckus was. I take that as an improvement. It will just take time for them to realize that he isn't a threat to them. Although, I may just get him another bark collar because I'm tired of hearing the noisy boy myself! LOL!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm glad the kitties are settling in more. I'm not in favor of bark collars. Dogs bark for a reason -- and I'm sure you'd want to know if some stranger were lurking around your home. Many times, dogs bark out of boredom. They need play time and lots of exercise, too. Hopefully, all your pets will be best friends at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'm sure all my critters will be great friends. My labs are sweethearts. They like to pretend they didn't like my previous cat but I would catch them all snuggled up at naptime. Lol! Bristol isn't bored, he gets plenty of love, attention, and exercise. We live out in the country and he barks at ALL the critters that roam our property and the neighbor's cows and horses. We can't tell if he is barking at a cow, a leaf or a stranger. The bark collar I use doesn't shock him it only buzzes against his neck making it uncomfortable to bark. When I had one on him before it reminded him not to bark at every rabbit, squirrel, cow or leaf that came by. But, if he really, really wanted to bark he could and would. It stopped that all-freaking-night barking at every little thing but allowed him to bark at the mailman or UPS guy. Right now he is the little boy that cries wolf but with the collar I know if he is putting up with the buzzing he has a really good reason to bark.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see they have improved the collars to where they don't harm the doggie! The two neighbors behind us have dogs that will bark during the night -- but I'm sure it's due to a raccoon or skunk that has dropped by and is making noise.

Hope you'll be an active member of the forum and ask any questions you may have about bengals.