[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Need to Rehome Orange Tabby Bengal mix
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

About 7 or 8 months ago I adopted a 2 month old Orange tabby kitten for my 76 and 78 year old parents who were heartbroken over the loss of their last cat after 18 years.
Unfortunately I seem to have come upon a bengal mix, as identified by our vet, which is not only FAR too active and robust of a cat by breed, but it is attacking my mother.
Truly think the cat simply likes my mother and wants to engage in play, but my poor mother is only half ambulatory and her thin skin is now scratched to bits. She's harnassed and walked the cat, loves him, but he is just TOO much for her.
I feel awful. Adopted a kitten for myself at the same time, and a dog, and both are doing terrific. Unfortunately being away for work I'm fearful that my parents Begal cat will roll over my little sedate and loving kitten like a steamroller! My kitten is very small, not half the size of my parents. Just not comfortable with it as the Bengal seems to be a breed unto itself! Had no idea.

Any suggestions? We are all committed to finding the right forever home for "Whiskey". Though one may need a whiskey to endure him! Actually the cat is sweet, think my parents just lake the skills and mobility.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope you also posted this in the "Rehoming" section of the forum. Your elderly parents do not need a kitten, especially a bengal kitten. They are far too vocal and have way too much energy for them to deal with. Rescuing an adult cat from a shelter would have been fine. I hope Whiskey finds a good home.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you thought about switching your cat with your parent's cat? Maybe that would be a better fit?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not sure I'd switch the cats. Obviously the member really loves her kitty! It was just the wrong fit for her parents. I'm not quite as old as her parents and my 8-year old bengal has too much energy for my tastes! He wears me out! I dread the day when I'm unable to take him out for walks because I'm just too old to make it down or back up the steps to the house. Our yard is pretty sloped and I've fallen a time or two already as he pulls me down the hill. I could not manage a kitten of any type these days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There were 4 kitties on display at my vet's office today that are up for adoption. OMG they were so adorable. One looks like a 5 month old Korat kitten, so beautiful! All the cats had beautiful green eyes. I would not take on another cat, but I sure thought about it all day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope those kitties all find homes. I just love cats so much. The cat from three blocks over still visits our yard. He's the sweetest little thing. Just wants some love and attention.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

All 4 of these cats kept reaching out to me through the bars...I am still thinking about them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is one reason I could never volunteer at a shelter. As much as I adore animals, it would break my heart to leave them. I'd want to adopt them all. I'd probably do better at a zoo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I regularly visit our nearest shelter - Newbury cats protection. I am hardening myself as I am going to volunteer when I stop work. Not sure how i'll manage with the sad stuff but it's something I really want to do. There's bengal there at the moment called Izzy :cry:
How I would love to go and get her but it would probably be a total disaster! I have told the ladies at the cat's protection that the Bengal cat forum saved my sanity in the early days and to tell new bengal adopters about this forum!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The sad thing is that the no-kill shelters here have all the volunteers they can use. Metro Animal Control is the one who is begging for volunteers. They euthanize 84% of the animals that come through that door. When my "stray" went missing, I was there once a week looking to see if they had him. It was heartbreaking. They have a limit budget and try to do the best they can, but the holding area where they have the cats is horrible. The cats are so terrified. The adoption area has the cat beds and cat trees. They are the closest to my home and I know they are desperate for people to help out there. I just couldn't do it. I remember a cat named "Smokey" -- gorgeous older kitty. Saw her there a couple of weeks and then she was gone -- euthanized. It was just so sad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can totally understand why you could not volunteer there Sherry. Goodness 84% euthanasia that's awful. Why can't people just neuter their animals to stop all this needless heartbreak. Over here the vets get together a few times a year and do a £5 neuter or spay for pets of students, elderly or people who have fallen on hard times. I spent an hour at the shelter today and spent time with Joe a 14 yr old male oriental type who I fell in love with. He was so loud and affectionate! I also saw Izzy the Bengal. She had a coat like velvet and the most beautiful eyes of any cat I have seen. The staff think she is prob about 75% bengal as there was a slight ticking on her back end. I could have taken them all home :sad:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Metro Animal Control does have a mobile unit -- Rover that visits areas of the city and will do low-cost spay, neutering and vaccinations. It's just not enough. They have a few weekends where they lower their fees and this weekend, they are offering senior pets for no fee. They truly TRY, but it's easier for people to just drop the animals off -- no questions asked.