It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:54 am 
Bengal Kitten

hi im shelly i am a new owner of a bengal kitten name tika i got him when he was 7 weeks old he is so loving and he cuddles up at nite with me in bed a little love bug he is lol i have a few questions for any one that can help me out with if yall have gone though the same thing as i have these past week or so .here goes when i got him he was on 9 lives cat food i gradually ease him into a kitten food he startes to have the runs even when he was eating the 9 lives so he was eating the kitten food with the 9 lives but he would meow every time he uses the bathroom i was heart broken cause i didnt know what to do for him ive brought him to the vet for his second set of shots and dewormed it look like he was starting to get harder poop then just a :sad: few days ago he started with the runs again someone told me to give him some pumpkin that will help he has an appoiment with the vet in another week i had call the vet office and ask what is the best kitten food i can give him and they said purina kitten chow so i slowly started to transion him over to that i got alot of different ideas to feed him but i want whats best for him some say dry food some say wet food and some say raw diet but i dont thing that im comfortable with feeding him raw meat ive always fed my cats and of course they were just regular cats but it was purina kitten chow he eating good i just want to know everything that i can for him ive been readin on bengals kittens and still reading up on there please help and give me your honest opitions about this thanks worry mommy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Shelly. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your baby! Seven weeks is way too young to be taking a bengal kitten from its mother! Bengals learn a lot of social skills from their mom in the last few weeks. But now that you have him, you have him. You definitely need to be feeding him a high-quality kitten food. Your vet has recommended a low-quality food. You'll have to go to your local pet store to find the high-quality kitten food.

Most kittens become stressed out when going to a new home and being taken away from their mom and siblings. Soft poop is a natural side-effect of that, along with trying to transition to a new food. At least Tika has seen a vet. Settling in can take some time and Tika is really a tiny boy at this point.

Would love to see a picture of him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

thanks for getting back with me hes a sweetie for sure so whats the best -qualitykitten food there is to get him last nite he ate some chicken thigh meat cut up along with his mixed food that i mention in my post and some pumpkin and sometime in the am he threw up now he hasnt thrown up anything before like he did last nite or this morning it look like the pumpkin it was orangy he ate a little of the mixed food this morning he is asleep on my lap right now my first bengal friend on here im just wanting the best for him and im hoping im doing everything right thanks for the infor i didnt know they couldnt be taken away just yet from there moms here a pic of him im trying to post his pic and its saying pic size is to big

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A lot of owners feed their kittens Royal Canin food for kittens. Wellness also has food for kittens. I'm not an expert on brands and if you read "what is the best food for kittens," everyone has an opinion and feeds their kittens something different. Just stay away from the grocery store brands. Go to a pet store. How much pumpkin did you add to the food? For a kitten, I'm guessing a very small amount -- 1/8 teaspoon maybe for a tiny kitten. Throwing up the pumpkin shows it was probably a little too much. Just a dab should do it -- and I'm not sure I'd feed it more than once a day. Tika is really, really tiny! I'm not sure he was completely weaned and ready to be taken away from his mom. Feed him small portions at least 6 to 7 times a day. You're basically taking care of an infant. He is a cutie pie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He is so cute. We've always had good luck feeding our kittens and cats Wellness food. They seem to really like it and it is a good quality food. Blue Buffalo brand makes a lot of food too - but I've read very mixed reviews of it and some people say their cats often have diarrhea on it.