It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My cat archie
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:24 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello there

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have the most adorable ginger half Bengal kitten he is nearly 6 months old and an absolute joy! He is so soft and so gentle especially towards my 5yr little girl they are like two peas in a pod where one goes the other follows!!!

We do have one problem however is him eating cat food in that he won't!!! I literly have gone through the whole range of cat food, jelly, sauce, pate, dry food he just won't eat any of it, he won't even eat cat treats! He will only eat chicken, duck, pork. I wanted to see if its a Bengal thing or do I need to take him to the vet, he is totally brilliant otherwise!!!

I'd be ever so grateful for some advice.

Post subject: Re: My cat archie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just like humans, cats have their favorite foods! My Raiden will not touch seafood of any type -- tuna, salmon, etc. He loves chicken, turkey and beef! Feed your Archie what he likes to eat. Brand can play a big role as well. Raiden is not interested in grain-free, expensive cat food. I've gone through brands and types (pate, bits, shreds). I will buy a couple of cans of something new and give that a try. Sometimes he will eat a portion of it, sometimes he will not even touch it. Don't be too concerned. If your cat prefers chicken, duck and pork, give it to him. Archie is still growing and needs the nutrition. As long as he's developing normally, that's all that really matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tracy edwards wrote:

We do have one problem however is him eating cat food in that he won't!!! I literly have gone through the whole range of cat food, jelly, sauce, pate, dry food he just won't eat any of it, he won't even eat cat treats! He will only eat chicken, duck, pork. I wanted to see if its a Bengal thing or do I need to take him to the vet, he is totally brilliant otherwise!!!

I'd be ever so grateful for some advice.

So to be clear, you are saying that 100% of his meals right now are human-grade meats with no supplements?

If so, that is kind of a problem, because that's not a complete diet, and he isn't getting all the vitamins and minerals that he needs. It may simply be that he has learned that if he "holds out" he will get the things he finds most delectable, which is kind of a tricky problem. Is it normal? Not really. Although some cats are just much fussier than others.

I think you have several choices:

1. Go the raw diet route. You can serve him that meat (uncooked) plus add in the extra vitamins and minerals that he needs. There are numerous articles and info about how to do that. Another way to do this is to buy pre-made raw mixes. High end pet stores often offer this.

2. Look for complete, manufactured cat foods that are "most similar" to the foods that he likes. There are brands (at least in the US) of cat food that offer non-pate style food that is much more like human food. Brands like Tiki Cat, Weruva, Earthborn Hollistic etc. They also do have chicken and duck (never seen a pork flavored cat food though).

3. Try the slow-transition trick. Try the food that he likes and start mixing in more and more of something he doesn't like. So for example if you are able to take some chicken you feed him, and "dunk" it is some other type of cat food brand that you'd like to feed him, and have him not reject it, you may be able to gradually get him to acclimate to the other food. Dunno, it's worth a try.

If worst comes to worst, you may just be able to feed him the meats that he likes (cooked even) and add the appropriate supplements.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:18 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there

Archie is having vitamin supplements and having varied meat

I've tried slowly introducing cat food that doesn't work, I've tried heating up, I've tried adding gravy, I've tried from cold. I've tried tough love but he nearly went a week and I gave up as was worried it would harm him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 pm 
Senior Bengal

My 2 are fussy too, they will like something one week and not touch it the next. At the moment Jaz mainly only eats dry, and is picky about the flavour
and Gin wants wet food again has favourites which change. Ellie the siamese is even fussier, so I end up giving bags of food away to my daughter!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Some children have extremely narrow eating likes. Cats can have that as well. The key is not feed donuts or potato chips or things like that. I don't see anything wrong with raw or cooked chicken, if you are giving Archie supplements. It's important that he eats and he is gaining weight and has a normal body size. Certain foods can cause digestive pain in cats and maybe that's why he doesn't like the other foods. People have sensitive stomachs and digestive systems -- cats can have that as well. As long as you monitor him and you're certain he's eating enough, that's what counts.