[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Help choosing/color potential
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello everyone, I'm new here and to the Bengal breed. That being said I've done my research to say the least. However, nothing beats hands on experience. And while the internet is a great tool I haven't been able to find anything that specifically aids me in my current query. I am trying to determine which kitten to choose. I'm looking for that silver color with dark contrasting rosettes or as close to it as possible. I understand that only time will truly tell and that there is no exact science for predictions. Problem is that deposits are flying in and time is of the essence. The mother is silver marble and father seal lynx point. While the mother is pretty, she isn't our preferred silver. I've enclosed several pictures for reference and a pic of a cat that would be the dream/ideal outcome to help as well. Thank you all in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am far from an expert but since nobody better has replied (yet) some of those kittens look like they wont be rosetted more spotted (might be my eyes though hard to tell when rosettes havent opened up yet) It is really difficult at this age to see how the kittens are going to turn out so i would be looking more to the parents. Iv seen some silver kittens at like a few months old with mega dark contrast that is faded over time when they are adult. then there is some cats that the contrast seems to appear over time. I think it may be down to genetics. my kitten was really fuzzy when I picked her so I tried to gauge it on her parents. Also its good to consider the temprement of the kitten rather than just the coat. maybe once you meet them you will know which is the one for you. my concern is you don't seem 100% happy with the queen . since you want to get the right kitten is it worth shopping around and waiting for a kitten coming from a queen you really love? just some food for thought. like I said I am nowhere near as experienced as some on here so you will hopefully get better advice soon

Last edited by misty on Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I realize you are sending money on this kitty, but the most important aspect should not be the coloring or markings, but the cat's disposition and personality. You're looking for a warm rosetted bengal where the contract with the rosettes is great. You can see in this litter, the kittens are all darker than the mom. I honestly don't know if this is common or not. A couple of the kittens appear lighter than the others. I have a cool rosetted bengal, meaning there is little contrast between his pelt color and the dark rosettes. He's not as stunning, but he's the sweetest kitty in the world.

If you're having difficulty deciding from this litter, then you may need to locate another breeder or wait for another litter. Hesitation usually means it's not for you and it's better to wait and get exactly the kitten you want than be sorry later. Somewhere out there is a kitten that has that perfect look you're seeking. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would also suggest you visit the breeder's facilities and see the potential kittens for yourself. It's extremely difficult to tell from a few photographs. Even if the breeder is a few hours from you, the visit will answer many of your questions and would relieve any hesitation that you may have.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for all of the input and advice. Let me give just a little more background. My wife has been bothering me for months about getting a cat for our daughter, although it's probably just as much for her lol. I've always been a dog person and overall animal lover (2 American Bulldogs that would probably lick any intruder to death and get along great with all animals including our friends cats). That being said I am mildly allergic to some cats, hence my reservation and typically averse attitude towards getting one. However, as our daughter has gotten older I see how much she is infatuated with the ones in the pet store or even on tv and literally crys when it's time to leave our friends house and their cat. So my defenses have been compromised and dads looking to make his baby happy. While there are plenty of kittens needing adoption everywhere you look I have chosen to try to go the Bengal route after doing my research for 3 reasons. First is their typically less irritating (if at all) allergic qualities. Second is their personality and dog like demeanor and playfulness. And finally because they're just plain cool looking and if you could ever brag about a sweet looking macho type cat it'd be one with wild ancestral heritage. I am truly an animal lover with plenty of experience (friends jokingly refer to me as the dog whisperer and routinely come to me seeking advice) and am more than aware of the importance of behavior and personality. However, when purchasing a cat with such a pedigree and price tag over one from the local shelter for a percentage of a fraction of the cost I'd just as soon have one that fits the bill of "wild cat" at least in the looks department anyway. We are visiting on Sunday, but are looking for experience in choosing and forecasting coat changes in order to aid us in our selection process. She has another litter just a week or so older that are the traditional gold and browns and we very well may go with one of those. But that snow leopard look (not the term for certain Bengals that actually look nothing like them) is just so captivating it'd be nice to get the best looking cat with the best temperament and health.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Visiting and talking to the breeder about their lines is probably going to help you the most. They should know their lines and what prior kittens have turned out like so they should be able to help tell you which babies they think will have rosettes vs spots.

Good luck choosing your new furbaby.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

you could also ask to see photos of previous litters as adults that may be useful to you

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do you have a photo of the father?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I get that personality is of great importance but there is no reason you can't have a good looking cat that meets your expectations in the looks department. You might have to wait a while to find the perfect fit for your family, one that fits the personality health and looks is going to take a while to find. While these kittens are beautiful I don't think they will have the contrast and markings you are looking for. They will be spotted not rosetted and they will not have the contrast you are looking for either. A great quality silver bengal is hard to come by and only a hand full of breeder have came close to getting that perfect silver. If you are dead set on a silver I would find a breeder that not only specializes in silvers but one that will screen for HCM and PK def as well as evaluate the kittens personality to make sure it's a good fit.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 am 
Bengal Kitten

This is the father on the right and his 3 queens.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The kittens will have marking close to that of the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you gerybmuch for the feedback and informative responses. It's crazy that 2 very different looking kittens at birth will eventually end up looking pretty much the same. I had hoped that the dark one would stay dark and the lighter undercoat come through as it grew.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah, I agree. Lookimg at the father, I don't think any of those kittens will look like the one you posted as your preferred coloring. But, of course, they could still be wonderful cats! Important to visit the breeder and meet the kittens.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

after seeing both parents I don't think these kittens are going to meet your expectations So I would probably move on to a different litter