It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I need advice!

I already have a 15 year old and a 5 year old cat; both females. (oh, and two rabbits!) The older cat never did come to like the younger one, but she doesn't spray anymore. We even tried Feliway - and she sprayed on the devices! The older cat had a dog that was her mother, and he was the best mother she could have had, he loved his kitty and she missed him a lot when he passed. We thought maybe that was why she hated the other cat, because maybe she felt it was a replacement for her dog. Even now, six years later, she still only really perks up when she sees a dog outside.

My daughter's friend just lost his grandparents, and they left a Bengal cat and a dog, both male. We've been asked if we could take them in. Now, we always said that when it was time for a new dog, a new dog would come to us. That's how we got the first one, and honestly, I've never had a better dog, and I had dogs all my life before I was married. This dog is paired with the Bengal, I think they would be really sad to be parted.

I need some advice on how to integrate my current cats and my upcoming new (adult male) Bengal. I am really hoping Annie (my old lady cat) will not hate them the way she does our other cat because they are male. And yeah, I know the best option is not to do it...but I thrive on wrong choices. So how can I best integrate them? Thanks in advance for any tips!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum. Second of all, you've got quite a house full of people and animals and you are considering adding a dog and a bengal to the mix. Bless you! The bengal and dog should already be friends .. but they will be coming into your home which has new people, new smells, new environment. This can be challenging, especially when there are other cats in the mix. Not impossible, but challenging. The bengal is going to need some high places -- cat trees, shelving on the walls, etc. Each cat should have it's own territory! A male bengal is usually highly territorial. Add another litter box for good measure.

I'm not an expert on introducing adult cats to an adult cat and dog. You are going to have to allocate at least an area in your home where the new arrivals can be safe if things get crazy! I can hear the hissing and the back arching and the hair standing on end for all involved! I highly doubt your current kitties are going to welcome the bengal and dog with open arms, so you'll have to introduce them slowly and a little at a time. Throwing them in a room together and just observing what happens isn't going to work. They may all be terrified. So, a safe room for the new arrivals should be made available to them. I'm not in favor of crating dogs. You didn't say how big this dog was. If he's more the size of the cats, instead of a gentle giant, things may go better. I'd definitely try to introduce the bengal to one cat at a time. Same with the dog.

Brian is our resident advisor here. And hopefully, he will post his thoughts on how this can work. Just know this can take some time and a lot of patience and working with ALL the animals (and kids) involved. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry wrote:
Brian is our resident advisor here. And hopefully, he will post his thoughts on how this can work.

Aww, thanks, really though I'm just a guy that loves his cats, loves reading about cats, and hangs out here on the forum learning from others like anyone else. But in regards to this problem, I don't think I really have much to add. I've never owned a dog, so know nothing about integrating dogs and cats. A lot of other people here have though, so hopefully they will share their experiences and thoughts. It's not something I would ever attempt, but that's just my own personal bias.

Obviously anytime you try to integrate adult cats it could be problematic, and I think a bengal is doubly-so, because most times they are going to want to be the "alpha". And if you already know that your 15yr old cat doesn't like sharing the home with other cats, then she is very likely not going to be happy with the new additions (at least initially).

There's something to be said for someone who takes in animals in need with the attitude that they'll "just make it work, come hell or high water" though so I hope it goes well.

I think you might have to initially adopt a strategy where you basically split off the house into territories, and keep the cats separate for awhile, maybe even permanently. Your odds of feline harmony will improve also if you make sure there is ample vertical space for 3 cats to share without having to run into each other constantly while finding a "premium" perch to sleep on. There are books like "Cat vs Cat" that attempt to really explain the multi-cat household dynamics that you might want to check out. Feliway can also be helpful if there is spraying that results from your new additions.

- that's all I got

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Brian, your responses are always so well thought out. I know you've helped a ton of people on here -- even me. I respect your opinions on things as well -- and you cook! LOL. Hopefully, other dog/cat owners can weight in and help this new member out.