[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bringing home f1 bengal kitten to 4year old cat (non bengal)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I noticed in your original post that you were so worried about Avi becoming aggressive toward Luca! Well, that's not the case now. You did the introduction the correct way! Oh I hate it when cats are underfoot. I've stepped on Raiden a few times just not knowing he was there. You know that Luca adores you! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes the integration of these cats sharing a living space was really no big deal. So many ppl on here speaks as if it's this big sacred event to introduce two cats (especially when one is an eg). While I think there is some merit to that and that consideration does need to be made-I don't think it's as big of a deal where it needs to be down to a science lol. That's one thing I have really realized just in general with having Luca. Before I got him I was so nervous from all the fear instilled upon anyone considering one of these cats.theres so many warnings and disclaimers about getting them Yes they do have certain tendancies that require a little tolerance sometimes but those are more silly quirks than anything. Having Luca is really just like owning any other cat I've had. Sure his meow sounds like a baby dinosaur instead of what you'd expect from a cat but he walks along my computer keyboard and waits outside the bathroom(or comes in and stares) when someone is in there just like any other cat would do! The only thing I say I do differently with Luca than I have with other pets is that I spend a lot more one on one time with him without the other cat to maintain that bond between me and I; I take him for walks,take him into a room and play or cuddle(if it's during his sleepy part of the day) and have him sleep on our room with the door closed at night. I don't see why some of these cats are put to live in cages.... I think as long as you are a responsible care taker of these cats and show them love and tolerance and invest time then there really isn't too much else different that you have to do with these cats than any other cat. Yes the socialization process is very crucial in the beginning but it also is with any cat!!!
lol I'll probably get a few nay sayers in response to this post so I will say that I realize every situation is different as no two cats are the same and that some get more wild genes than domestic ones. But it would be nice for ppl not to condem these cats as "specialized" pets or difficult to live with.
That said, Luca is about to enter sexual maturity over the next few months so maybe I will be singing a different tune in the next little while :lol:
Anyways, I digress. The real reason for my posting here today is that I took another cute video of Luca and Avi hanging out (aka Luca being a pain while all Avi wants to do is relax on the table on top of all my paper work lol)
http://youtu.be/lIeVE2yjnlw
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Emily, when it comes to EGs, so much depends on the breeder. If the breeder brings the kittens into their home and socializes them with people and other pets, then they are usually fine. But many keep the kittens separated. You lucked out with a wonderful breeder who truly catered to her kittens and made sure Luca was well socialized. I know he had a traumatic flight to get to you. As for two cats getting along .... there is always the hissing and howling. I've seen cats that slept together that first night. You just never know. There are countless posts on here with cats not getting along with a new cat and we've had to walk them through the process. I still want you to blog about your experience with an F1! There is so much that needs to be said. I read a question yesterday that asked if two F2s could be bred together! They would produce F3 kittens! Of course they can be bred together!

I'm so happy you're sharing Luca with us. He's an amazing F1 and Avi is something else as well. You're doing a tremendous job which is resulting in a happy, settled Luca and Avi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The main problems with early gen cats are usually not whilst they are kittens, kittens are often fine, the problems mainly start as they grow up into adults at 1-2 years. That is when the real wild cat traits tend to start making themselves known and that is why some breeders will not sell F1s as pets.
I know it can be very lucrative for breeders, with F1s selling for higher prices than your average Bengal and that is why some breeders do this, but I feel due to the problems associated, then they are not for your average household, and I feel it is grossly unfair on the cats themselves.

Excessive noise, soiling, timidity, anxiety, anxiety fueled aggression, fear of strangers, bonding with one person alone to the exclusion of anyone else, territorial marking and fighting, intense and obsessive behaviour patterns, destructive behaviour, pica, unable to cope with any change, are all recognised early generation traits.

They tend to make great kittens but as they age and grow into adults, the problems can start.
That is the reason they end up in outdoor cages and some end up in zoos.
When a very prominent breeder sold up a few years ago, her F1s ended up in a zoo.
Very many get put down, when their owners just cannot cope any longer.
Destruction, peeing, smell, anxiety and yowling are the main issues that cause owners to exclude them from their homes and put them in cages. In cages they can become withdrawn, stressed and sad.

So whist you are atm patting yourself on the back for a job well done on getting your two cats to get along, the real issues with owning an EG cat most likely lie ahead, I am sorry to say.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry, she is such an amazing breeder. It definitely goes without saying that where they come from is so important to their socialization. Definitely lucked out.
That's an interesting thought about the breeding. I think you would be extremely lucky and all the stars would have to be aligned for them to be able to repeoduce though. Though 9.99999 times out of ten the eg cats are sterile it's not 100% of the time and of course there are exceptions to the rule and theoretically it could happen but unlikely.
And Elaine, not trying to pat myself on the back lol.i really didn't do anything special with these two cats to be owed a pat. I kept them separated from each other for about two weeks(Luca of course escaped during that time a few times so they had interacted a bit) intentionally at the beginning but it ended up being more close to a morning because of the whole giardia situation we had. I knew from the breeder that Luca would be very friendly towards Avi. And as for Avi, I wasn't 100% how things would go with him but I guess we were kicky with him being so welcoming to sharing his home and people lol. I have seen the very opposite also happen with other cats though since cats are generally territorial. Bengals are no special case in my opinion. Again, no two cats will ever be the same so it is sort of wasted breath to spend so much time on this topic. All my preconceptions that I had about Luca before getting him turned out to be wrong and I felt like an over prepared new parent after I realized that jahajahaha. My only point is that though these cats are intense creatures and require a great deal of time and effort, it's really the same amount of time and effort your should be putting into any animal that is your responsibility. Owning any animal is not a part time thing you do when it's convenient for you it's a round the clock thing in my opinion that any animal deserves. They are family after all ya?
I realize things may change with Luca when he gets older and I am preparing for that now in every way possible to give us the best chance possible with him.

I'm not saying that just anyone should get an eg Bengal; thorough research into the breed and the breeder are imparative when making the decision to get one. But owning an eg isn't this huge lifestyle choice that ppl often make it out to be. But it is a responsibility for years and years that's takes careful consideration and you should make sure you have the money and space and time for them though.

Anyhow,hope you guys are enjoying the videos. Aside from the one I put the link for , I iploaded three others today too of Luca finding his toy my boyfriend hid from him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Emily, I know you're prepared for whatever lies ahead with Luca. It is nice to see Elaine posting again. As I've said over and over again, I hope you journal this adventure with Luca. Even if you don't post it online until much later. I know every cat is different and what Elaine described may or may not happen in the future! You take it one day at a time and enjoy each day. I know you'll keep us updated throughout Luca's life and we'll just have to wait and see if any of the problems Elaine mentioned even crop up. You didn't go into this lightly. I commend you for taking on the responsibility. A good breeder of EGs will make sure the potential owner has all the information needed to take on the task! I think you're doing a terrific job.