It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My wife and I are proud parents of 2 Bengal Kittens ... Jinx who is a 5 month old spotted male and his 1/2 sister Lexi . who is 5 1/2 month old marbled kitten.. It has been quite a ride so far since getting them at age 8 weeks of age.. Jinx is extremely independent, crazy, and I think, large for his age... Lexi is a girly, girl who loves affection and is quite dainty.. . My first question to anyone is how can we get Jinx to become more friendly.. His is his own man and will only come around us when he wants, . My wife is able to play with him for a few minutes then , he is gone.. Thanks for any advice... Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey Mark. Welcome to the forum. You wrote you got your kittens at 8 weeks. Normally, you'd be allowed to take them at 12 to 13 weeks. They usually learn a lot of social skills from their mom in those last few weeks. But, as you can tell, bengals are quite independent cats and their personalities are all very different. My Raiden is quite his own man as well. he's not overly affectionate but loves the interaction of play time. Sometimes he will snuggle up next to me on the couch, but that's rare. He does sleep with us at night -- finds a spot without legs at the bottom and I know he hopes that neither me nor my husband will move and knock him off. LOL.

Yours are still kittens and still developing personalities and quirks. To try and get Jinx to be more friendly is to just spend more time where he is. While he's eating, sit near him and just talk softly to him. Engage him in play. I can't see Raiden without going over and petting him and talking to him (usually, he'll want his belly rubbed). I talk with him constantly. He comes to me when he wants something (treats, more food, playtime, or to go for a walk). He's quite demanding, but he's the sweetest cat I've ever owned.

Another poster here had a cat who was pretty timid. They just posted that the kitty finally jumped up next to them for attention, purring, and ended up grooming the owner. So, things can change in just a matter of time. You've just got to be patient.