[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New Bengal Owner
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Bengal Owner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

I've owned cats for most of my life really (I am 51 now) and have always been an animal lover. Every cat I have owned has had a special place in my heart and I have never forgotten each and every one of them. I still shed a tear over them.

I 'had' two Burmese cats. My 15 year old Burmese passed away on Boxing Day last year and I'll miss him forever. He was such a big teddy bear so trusting and full of love. That left my 14 year old Burmese and I think we both missed having another cat around.

We thought at first to get another Burmese (they are wonderful cats) but I was also pretty open and fancied something different.

Anyway to cut a long story short we decided on a Lynx Point Snow Bengal Kitten and we picked one up about a week ago. He was 13 weeks old and the last Bengal of the litter which did worry me somewhat (why was he the last etc!) but as an experienced cat owner I wasn't too concerned.

My husband brought him home on Friday and he spent 2 days hiding under the sofa. He was extremely timid and was literally shaking with fear. I looked after him as best I could during these first few traumatic days for him.

We have given the kitten space (there is no rush) and he is coming round to us. I get the impression that he must have scarpered as soon as a potential owner came near him and that's probably why he was the last one to be sold.

Because he was so afraid and timid we waited a couple of days before starting to introduce him to our Burmese who is as sweet as could be (so proud of him!) and is pretty much sitting here just waiting for the kitten to come round, make friends and have a cuddle.

It's going very well and the my Bengal has gained a lot of confidence and the two of them now play together and sleep in close proximity to one another but not yet in the same bed but I am sure they will soon.

I am very smitten with our Bengal, who my 10 year old has named 'Dexter'. One minute he is very shy and then the next a complete and utter nutcase lol. He has already 'sky dived' from the top of the stairs landing and then tumbling down to the bottom. Completely unhurt thank goodness. He makes me laugh just looking at him. He has this mischievous look about him despite his shyness. I am sure he will be an complete and utter monkey once he finds his feet.

After 2 days he stopped hiding under the sofa and for the first time yesterday he came over to me with no coaxing and snuggled down on me to sleep. It was amazing! It was the first time I was actually able to get a proper look at him and see how beautiful he is.

I literally can't take my eyes off him.

Anyway just wanted to say 'hi' for now :-)

Post subject: Re: New Bengal Owner
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like Dexter has a new best friend already for him when he's ready.
Seems like you might have your hands full when he comes out of his shell soon - hope you're ready for him.

So nice to read a post about a kitten who is timid and for the post to be so positive as opposed to 'my kitten doesn't love me'. Continue with your great work and please please post some pictures up - I'm sure everyone on here would love to see some!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Becky and thanks for replying.

We haven't actually taken any photos yet as he doesn't keep still for long enough! Guess I'll catch some when he's asleep :)

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations on your new little goofball. You're in for a challenge but an enjoyable one. Sounds like Dexter is slowly acclimating to his new surroundings. It can take a while. An I'm thrilled the cats are getting along so well. Bengals love attention and being with people, so you may find Dexter's your shadow. Bengals are truly amazing and you'll find they enrich your life enormously. Make sure you have a cat tree or shelves on the wall for height as bengals love to be high above watching down on things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry, thank you. By the way my name is Debbie, I put Eggman and didn't realise it would appear as my username lol!

I want to get Dexter a climbing frame dh insisted he could make one himself out of cardboard boxes :rolleyes: .

I'm humouring him at the moment as I know his initial enthusiasm will wear off and as soon as I have some spare cash I will be buying him one particularly as he is going to be an indoor cat like my Burmese.

I'll have to put a post on about his diet as he was fed on Whiskas Kitten food and Royal Canin by the breeder. I'm not happy feeding him Whiskas and he doesn't even like the Royal Canin dry food.

I've bought Natures Menu wet food and Arden Grange dry food over the internet so waiting on that to be delivered.

He's so greedy and in only a week has already filled out quite a bit.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Debbie. So exciting! Your new kitten sounds gorgeous. Like you, I had a lovely Burmese cat and she sadly passed away only last month. She was 16 and a lovely cat. I now have 2 Bengal kittens (brothers) who have been with me for almost 2 weeks and they are great. They're up to all sorts of mischief. I'm sorry my Lucy didn't get to meet them but maybe it's for the best as she was very old and they'd probably have tormented her. They literally walk all over my greyhound!
I'm sure you'll have a great bond with your new addition. The fact he was so shy at 1st suggests he's just selective in the company he keeps :-) Once he knows you are there to give him all the attention he needs, I'm sure he'll be by your side all the time.
Karen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie, cats love the do-it-yourself things. Good for your husband for making something for the kitties. They recommend continuing feeding the kitten what the breeder was feeding them and then gradually changing them over to whatever. I know Raiden was quite particular when I got him. He's slowly trying new things, but you want to always give them what they will enjoy eating and that seems to change every so often.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your kitties.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm guessing kitten food is higher in nutrients as they are still growing. Your older cat is considered a "senior" and has his own nutritional needs. You could feed Dexter in a different area to make sure he has the time to eat his food. I don't think the kitten food is going to hurt your other kitty ... but it may be a tad more expensive in the long run. Kittens don't usually eat much, so a can or bag can last them longer. Personally, I'd get your older kitty back onto the food it used to eat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie