It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:32 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thought I would give a quick introduction of myself and family. My hubby and I have two teenagers, I have two older adult step children, custody of our grandson and I care for my adult brother. We have dogs, cats as well as assorted other scaley and feathered critters.

Recently I was looking online and came across a breeder that was retiring some adult Bengals. I spoke to her for several weeks and she finally contacted me and said she felt she had a girl that would fit into our lifestyle and my expectations. I adopted Nisha, a 6 year old F2 the beginning of April. Nisha is adjusting to our home slowly. She never really had a "normal" cat life living as a breeder, so this is all new for her. Right now she continues to stay in my bedroom most of the time, she doesnt care for the dogs and other cats. Despite the fact that she was housed with other cats previously she now wants nothing to do with them. One cat came into my room (her territory) and it was a bad situation to say the least. 10lbs of pure muscle flew across the room in a blink of an eye. I eneded up in the middle of that and did get some nasty scratches. After the other cat was out Nisha proceeded to come back after me, i feel she was still in that fight or flight mode and was just the first thing she saw. Afterwards she licked every inch of me that she could get ahold of. Introductions are going to take a while I fear. Nisha is attached to me at the hip when I am in the room and she is bonding with my hubby as well. I think training hubby to respect her and watch for signs has been helping tremendously.

While I was picking Nisha up I was told about Simba a 2 year old girl. Simbas owner had some rough times and was looking to give her to someone that had the ability to deal with her special needs at that particular time. I couldnt say no to this special little girl. Simba had tore her achilles tendons back in October and had two major orthopedic surgeries to fix things. Both surgeries failed and she was following a strict rehab schedule. Simba came to me about a week after Nisha. She had been rehabbing with us but unfortunetely the one tendon that was holding let loose and she lost all use of the leg. We opted to amputate her rear leg a week ago today, instead of attemkpting a third time at a major orthopedic surgery and subsequent months of rehab, she is now adjusting to life as a tripod kitty. Simba is a typical bengal, loving and opinionated, but such a sweetie.

Both cats eat a high quality dry food as well as some raw diet and a chicken, egg, oatmeal and vitamin mixture I prepare myself. I have been doing alot of reading on here in regards to behavior and such. I am getting a crash course in living with an EG kitty, but we are commited to making it work! So far so good with everyone!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome! The kitties are beautiful!

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh, they are so beautiful. An F2 can be a challenge .... but sounds like you have a large enough family to get through this.