[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal tears, Bengal joy, repeat, long intro
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello from the UK .. First can I ask you excuse my grammar, thanks..

I met my girlfriend 14 years and the fact she rescued Cats I found very alluring :) she had 3 resident when I moved in, all there own characters, some not so desirable. There has been several cats since then and some inevitable deaths :( and fun :)

Speeding up to recent years we had a couple of big fluffy girls from the rescue centre and although the centre came and vetted where we live the wandering one lost an argument with a bus tyre i suspect judging by the mess. So we decided ENOUGH! and had a 15*5 ft run built, proper foundations the lot, grand cost £1500 (yes we love them that much) there is a littice tunnel from the cat flap , through the shed and into the run, currently were installing some nice things for them to play on (learning carpentry fast)
I would like to say we always have all the jabs and vets checks, really warm big house, excellent feeding and attention.

So........ there was a 6 month Bengal in the local paper a lady pleading for someone to have it as her child had become allergic to him! so we got him....WOW we were not prepared for a Bengal !! we did not follow any introductory principles and he tears around the house like a demon, we love this and don't really care about things getting destroyed but the 5 year old resident female hates him as he keeps trying for some play with her and she's far to grumpy about that, if the story from the rescue centre is true she's never lived with another cat besides her sister who got ran over so she's pretty much had the roost to herself.

The next couple of things please don't judge too soon as they were a misinformed one off.

I scruffed him (far too hard first time) but he displayed no aggression at all so i lightened up and learnt how to do it gently and although I will not do it again ever I can stop him in his tracks with a gentle hand movement and have him to my side, calm, using gentle touches on his back and neck and that has been useful, however this only works if I'm in front of his charge, behind him and he carries on regardless.

Second as we never got to see the end result of a chase as she always runs upstairs and spits and hisses like a demon, even at us !!!!
I put her in a cloth large cat bag with very fine mesh and watched how she was when he's jumping on her, we were quite alarmed how evil she turned having never seen it before so we sort of saw that they are both a problem to each other. As I say those things don't happen any more.

So having finally realised I need to make him a Bengal tree which we did today and he loves it, 8ft high soft bench at the top and he's already loving the Cat king of the castle thing. That was also a DOH revelation last night about cat's sitting on high things :)

We have tried to get rid of him twice but really cant bear to be without him now so pleased no one took up the offer.
We have now accepted the situation and are managing it where they get times downstairs with the run and the kitchen and log burner or upstairs with me. It's alternated more than once a day.

So that's us, unfortunately we both are out at work in the day but Bengal gets the run all week as the neighbour chats to him and he has the stimulation of birds and things and knocking my kitchen palms over AGAIN! sigh :lol: and the older one just sits around all day anyway, she has very simple needs.

He's an amazing cat, very loving and is happy to lie upside down in my arms or be flung across my shoulder where he snuggles in

Were making lots of new things for him, hopefully I will have attached a pic of him and his new Bengal tree.

Thanks , Tony.

Dimp the Bengal.JPGDimp the
Bengal.JPGhttp://imageshack.us/a/img823/7492/dimpsbengaltree.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:34 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'm not a troll ! would a troll really have bothered to have made all this up let alone type it out? and find some random pictures. I already said it was bad advice and wont do it again.

Thanks for the welcome though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find tons of useful information here about Bengals (and cats in general).

Sorry to hear about your ups and downs with your cats. I appreciate that you may have made some mistakes along the way (probably through lack of knowledge than anything else) and I admire that you were able to hold your hands up and admit to them in your first post, explain everything that had happened and what steps you've taken since to rectify the situation. It sounds like you're certainly making progress and I think the run is a fantastic idea (I'd be interested in some photos of that, actually).

There are a lot of posts about introducing cats (bengals and non-bengals alike). I know it's a bit late for you now but maybe after a little more time has passed you could give those a read and try and reintroduce the cats to see if there is any hope of them co-existing peacefully. Perhaps if it's done at a much slower pace then there might be some agreement between the two of them. If not, it sounds like you have found a way to manage the situation anyway, so can always revert back to that.
I suspect that your big fluffy girl doesn't have the energy levels to keep up with your bengal though. As you may have noticed, Bengals are pretty crazy! :lol: I have two of them and I've never known cats like it! However, I wouldn't change them for the world... even when they are getting into trouble! It might be that in the long run, even if your girl tolerates your bengal boy at times she'll still need somewhere to escape from him. When bengals play, they play rough and they can be quite relentless with it too.

What are the names of your two cats? Your boy looks lovely. Have you got any photos of your girl? Non-bengal photos are always welcome too! :) (we like photos on this forum!)

Owned by:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you neoow, yes the mistakes were through ignorance and taking random advice.

Bengals name is Dimp( was called charlie but i hated that) and fluffy is called Milly, mills for short.

This is milly
DSCF5213.JPG

This is Dimp DSCF5374.JPG

This is the run, made of steel for extra security DSCF5332.JPG

And the lattice tunnel which extends all the way through the shed DSCF5338.JPG

Ill be heading to the Behaviour threads to possibly get some help if I give detailed explanation of what we see.

Thanks again for your time

Kind regards
Tony.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a cutie! Welcome to the forum! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow, Milly is a VERY fluffy cat! Bet she sheds like a good'un in the summer! Hehe
I love that photo of Dimp, he looks like he's blissfully happy there!

The run is awesome. Are there any platforms for climbing on in there? I reckon Dimp especially could benefit from having places to jump/climb up to.
The reason why I asked to see a photo is because I'm looking to move house at some point in the hopefully near future (buying instead of renting, all being well) and (depending on garden size) I would love to be able to build an enclosure for my two herberts. So I'm looking around for ideas and solutions that others have come up with.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

She sheds all of the time bless, I have a permanent Dyson with a brush on installed by my side, I really cant stand cat hair as I roll cigs and it gets stuck to my keyboard.

That pic was when the run was finished now there is a an old wooden step ladder which they love and a 5 ft wooden beam 4ft off the ground and lots of springy toys, metal might not be to most tastes but we wanted to be sure nothing could get them :) it's securly locked and I will have night vision WIFI cam installed soon.

Good job we had metal with the tiger running about :lol: :roll: , he loves when we go out to see him and makes all these amazing noises.

IMAG0193.jpg

Good luck with your move and your run, in times of crisis a run is possibly the best thing you can have if they are indoor cats.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there! Welcome to the Bengal Cat Forum.

I am preparing to move into a new home that lends itself to an outdoor cat run. We are currently exploring ways to contain our Samoyed dog while we are at work but I think I will approach hubby about creating some type of cat run too.

I was trying to think of a way to keep coyotes out and I think you may have the right idea with a strong, metal cage exterior. I must admit, I prefer the appearance of window-type screening and wooden support frame but I worry the wild dogs will get in.

You have given me food for thought, at least.

Your beebs are adorable! I think Milly looks like a Maine Coone, about my second favourite breed of cat.

Thank you for joining and sharing your experience.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lookit that spotty belly! Hehe bet he loves it in there!

I agree with Kyenta that wooden ones can look nicer (depending how they're done) but metal is much more reliable in my view- not only with keeping your critter in but also other critters out!
To be fair though, yours doesn't look bad at all. Good stuff.

Owned by:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We brought this as a Dog cage ! flat pack really easy to assemble, 500 quid and the tarp roof 100 quid extra and we secured chicken wire in the roof with cable ties.

Thick wood posts with steel mesh the size we have would look and be perfect but we couldn't find one but im planning a extension next spring so they can prowl on grass.

Another pic of milly as it would be nice to understand where she came from ? that hair on her back is very thick ?! this was when she was allowed to roam stalking spiders :roll:

milly2.jpg