[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Say hi to Schrody
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Say hi to Schrody
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm 
Bengal Cat

Just picked up my new (and first) bengal baby. A 13 week old marbled boy called Schrody (short for Schrodinger, as in Schrodingers cat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger's_cat ). I picked him for his copper markings which have developed wonderfully since when I viewed him three weeks ago.

He's now safely in his 'kitten room'. Came out of his carrier and explored while I was up there setting things up, but keeping to the other end of the room. I'm now in the lounge while he's up there meowing loudly for his siblings and (by the sounds of it) doing a demolition job!

I'm a bit of an amateur photographer, so expect some photos shortly.

Post subject: Re: Say hi to Schrody
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I LOVE his name!! that's awesome! As long as he is making noise you know he's alive! LOL Can't wait to see pics of him...

Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Great name!! I look forward to many photographs!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm 
Bengal Cat

He was yelling for about half an hour (and I was getting worried this would carry on all night!!), then went quiet, which had me worried, but when I looked in I think he just wanted a nap.

I just had another look in an had a mini panic that I couldn't find him but eventually tracked him down behind some stuff propped up against the wall under a table. There's footprints in his litter tray and some of his toys have been moved, so I figure he basically just had a wander around and found the most hidden spot in the entire room.

I'm now back off up there to spend some quiet reading time while he adapts to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 am 
Bengal Cat

So, he spent the rest of the evening quietly in hiding.

I went in and turned the light off before going to bed which seemed to awaken him and he started the loud calling again, and I'll swear at one point he was trying to batter the door down!

I got up a couple of times to check on him and also because I just couldn't sleep. Then I read it's a bad influence to see them at night if they're crying so after my last 3am visit I determined not to go back again.

Fortunately after this we both seemed to be getting some sleep with just the occasional calling (unless I was so tired I slept through it!)

Checked on him in the morning and he's eaten some of his dry food, quaffed some water and used his litter tray (a nice healthy looking poo). I'm really glad he's physically functioning ok. He's also rearranged all his toys.

He just won't let me within six inches of him. I'm not sure how much time I should spend in the room with him?

Oh, and I've put down some wet food if he wants a morning meal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was lucky that neither of mine had problems settling in but I've heard this trick works: grab a book, go in the room, sit on the floor, and just sit, read, and be there. even if he comes out, don't try to play with him just yet. just let him get used to your scent. once he starts to get used to you, perhaps bring in something like a da bird to engage in play time with him and Schrody will hopefully start to see you as the person who is fun to be around and not someone to hide from. I hope Schrody starts to feel at home soon. good luck!

Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi and welcome, looking forward to the pics! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm 
Bengal Cat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

well that is a good sign. slow and steady steps... he'll come round on his own time.

Ottawa, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Bengal Cat

I heard him moving about, went up, sat quietly by the door while he explored, then got him to chase a piece of string (such a classic) and he spent ages playing with a CatIt ball run. He followed this with food, water and litter tray and off for a rest in his hidey hole.

He's just come back out as I'm on the computer and he's sniffing my toes and trying to climb my leg. I think this is going to work out well. He still does quite a bit of 'barking' though which sounds rather distressed.

Sadly I have an engagement party to go to ten minutes ago and I really don't want to leave him now we're making friends!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:30 pm 
Bengal Cat

Last night I turned the lights out at 11, at which point he woke up and started playing and calling, but we both had a better nights sleep. He only woke me at 1:30 (I ignored him) and six, when I got up.

He dragged his bed over by the door and was sat in it (I've not seen him in it before) and he (just) stayed in it while I moved about. We had a good couple of hours of bonding, including me feeding him some Natures Menu treats from my hand.

Before I left for work I looked in on him and he was sat on my chair, which I'm assuming is a very good sign.

Back now, he seems very comfortable with me around, as long as I move carefully. He still won't let me put my hands near him, unless he's taking a treat, but he's happy walking past me or sniffing my feet. He even briefly let me stroke him with my foot.

Now that I'm at the computer I think he's gone off in a sulk because I'm sat in *his* computer chair!!

Crying/barking/shouting (whatever you choose to call it) sessions seem to be getting less and less.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad he's making good progress!

It took a while for my girl Pixel to get used to us. We had to take it very slowly with her. Widget wasn't too bothered by us so settled in a lot quicker. Pixel loved to play with us but was very wary of us otherwise. Hated being stroked and would turn into a ball of fuzz and claws if we dared to try and pick her up.

Now though? She's the biggest cuddlebum known to mankind. :D

Schrody will get used to you and his new surroundings soon enough. That's when the fun/trouble starts! ;)

Owned by:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like you are making good progress! I cant wait to see pictures, I LOVE marbles! Good luck and keep up the bonding it will pay off soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am 
Bengal Cat

Wow, did we have a good time last night.

I concentrated yesterday on getting him used to being touched. I'd lie near his toy, then try and stroke the top of his head when he came near enough.

By his evening play session I managed to stroke his back for a few seconds before he moved off for a wash and started purring. Five minutes later and I managed to give him a proper stroking session, with him running against me and headbutting my hand if I ignored him.

He's still wary of my hand, if I offer it to him, sometimes he'll sniff, other times back off.

I'm now confident that in a day or to I'll be able to let him out of the kitten room for an explore. And I hope if he's around me in the morning he'll stop waking me at 5:30am with his barking. Also picking him up (I was worried about how I'd get him back in his carrier for a vet check sometime this week.

As for food, I didn't show much interest in the Natural Instinct the breeder gave me, but I've started him on a little Lilys Kitchen which he'll eat if diced. I'm being careful to limit how much he gets at a time, though.

PS. I just tried picking him up and he let me hold him for a few seconds! (after a cuddle session). A but squirmy and I put him down to avoid stressing him too much.