[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - D'oh!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: D'oh!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Evenin' All,

I've been lurking about as a guest for a good few weeks now (regrettably after bringing my kitten home...) and felt the need to actually register just to say thank you for all the vital info you have all provided. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old gorgeous silver spotted girl, Tilly, who I have since come to realise is not a 'Bengal' as I do not have her papers. Despite the obvious disappointment of not owning the pure breed I was after (and yes I now realise the mistakes I made, but in my excited state, a 5 gen pedigree seemed legit...) I am over-joyed with the beautiful kitten I have and love her more than anything. She is now on a fully raw diet, talks constantly, loves the toilet flush, catnip, jumping and climbing. As I said before, I wanted to register so that I could say thank you to all of the people whose posts have helped me, whether it was regarding litter, raw, cat trees or harnesses.... THANK YOU!!

Soph and Tilly xxx

Oh and a pic.... or 4...

She had a eye infection at this point... orange is iodine from the vets...

sleepy kitty...

cats love beer... and boxes

Post subject: Re: D'oh!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Not sure where you are from. If you are in the UK you would register with GCCF, and in the US its TICA. (Not sure if TICA is over in the UK but I could be wrong) If this is something you are interested in doing for the sake of having something on paper that legitimately says you have a Bengal you could just do it yourself. With a 5 gen pedigree it's even easier because they only require a 3 gen pedigree to register as a purebred. You would have to fill out all of the information on the individual registration forms, pay a fee of $20 or so, and have the breeder sign off that the pedigree information you provided is correct.

Don't be so down on yourself. It's really just to your own benefit that you have the papers. It's a way for breeders to be cheap and save money by not registering each of their kittens. I have contacted a few breeders in our hunt for a silver and turned them down because even though I heard good things about them, they register only their breeding stock.

If it gives you peace of mind, go for it.

Lastly, Welcome! =)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. Tilly is very cute, love the pic of her laughing or yawning :wink: With regards to registration... where are you based as advice varies on location to some extent. It is difficult to tell from the pictures if i think she is a full bengal. My gut says that it's possible but i also see hints of Mau's and BSH in there.

You may still have a full bengal but there is no real way of knowing for sure without the registration papers. A pedigree can, and often is by BYB, be falsified. That is why the registration papers are important. We can certainly help on the basis of probability that Tilly is pure bengal but would need some more information. Like, how old was she when you got her? what conditions were the kittens kept in? how much she cost? did the breeder give a reason for there to be no papers? for example.

In reference to what tephiestephie said: TICA is an international organisation so is in the UK. The GCCF would require a 'Certificate of Mating' in order to register kittens. That is a certificate given to the owner of the Dam by the Stud owner to assure that the mating took place. I am not sure how TICA work as i don't use them but i would be surprised if all you needed was a pedigree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome! I am based in the UK. In regards to registering her, I think that as I am a little dubious of whether she is pure Bengal (I also thought there was a lot of Mau characteristics emerging as she ages) and am also in love with her no matter what she is, I am not really that worried about going through the hassle. The breeder was giving up breeding due to cost, and all the kittens and queens were kept and raised inside the family home. Tilly was 5 months when i brought her home and I only paid £150 (although the low price was quoted as the breeder didn't think she'd had her jabs but it turned out she had had both sets when I picked her up). Anyways, I adore her (moggy or not!) and she is the most wonderful companion, although when I eventually choose a playmate for her, I will certainly take a little more care when choosing a breeder! (turns out getting just one isnt enough to satisfy me!)

Thanks once again for the warm welcome!

X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Senior Bengal

Your kitty is BEAUTIFUL! She looks a lot like our purebred Silver Ocicat, Cirrhi. Cirrhi is on the right in this photo. The kitty on the left is also an Ocicat, but a Chocolate one instead.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Wow! They are gorgeous! I've never seen the breed before, but they look lovely!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Looks like a Bengal to me, here's a pic of our silver boy to compare (look very similar i think). You will see Mau characteristics in a lot of Bengals as they where used in the early breeding programmes.

DSC_0762.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can't just register an unregistered cat with TICA as a pedigree breed with only a pedigree given to you by the breeder as these are easily faked. I use TICA for my kittens as all my cats were registered with them when I bought them and it was easier than transferring everyone to a different registering body. To register a kitten as a pedigree Bengals with TICA the queen must already be TICA registered on the active (for breeding) register and if the sire is not TICA registered then he must be registered with a different registering body on the active register and a copy of the certified pedigree from that registering body must be provided (this is one that is ordered directly from the registering body the stud is registered with, not one that the breeder provides, and usually has to be paid for), a certificate of entirety is not needed but a mating certificate will be if the breeder has used an outside stud. All of the forms have to be filled in and sent of by the breeder with their signature and the signature of the stud owner if he belongs to someone else. If the queen and the sire are not registered or are registered on the non-active(pet only, not for breeding) register then registering the kittens as pedigree Bengals would not be possible.

Once a litter has been registered then separate registration papers for each kitten will be sent to the breeder, these are the slips which most people receive after they neuter their kitten and if the breeder has not already registered the kitten in the owners name they are the forms you send of to transfer ownership to you.

If you have a cat which is not registered then you can still register it with TICA but only as a household pet.

Xomich Tilly looks like a very sweet girl and I'm glad that this forum has helped you, good luck in your future search for your next Bengal :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She is a major cutie whatever she is :)