It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:13 pm 
Bengal Kitten

The breeder I got Rose from does not keep the kittens in cages, they actually have a room in her house where the nursing mom and kittens get to roam the entire area, they have access to the entire basement portion of the house, she also has a large garage where she keeps the males, with few exceptions... When a cat it going to be transported any distance (or prepped for show) they are moved to cat condos that are closer to where there will be a lot of human interaction. Currently I have a 2 story cat condo, with toys, food and bedding. She is put in there for feeding and bed time

As for the breeding.. I am keeping an open mind, I refuse to get an animal pregnant just because I feel like doing it. I have worked with pedigreed Shih-tzus for years, and have opted out of breeding them because I never had one that met with my strict requirements. Rose is not even 5 months old.. if I do breed her, it will be when she is closer to 2 years. By that time I will have a better understanding of what to look out for, as well as what I want in a male. For me the only time you breed an animal is for the betterment and preservation of the breed. IF Rose meets the standards I have set for her to be bred, then it will only be for one or two times, after that she will retire to become a lazy house cat, doomed to abscond with laps and torment the dogs for the rest of her life. If Rose doesn't meet my standards for breeding, then she will be fixed and get to apply her lap stealing skills earlier. But I have given myself 2 years to determine if she will be bred or not, at this point I am doing my research. Since fixing is a permanent NO answer to her ever having babies... I make it a point ensure that I absolutely do not want to breed before I close that door forever.

In Rose's case, it will depend on how she does in a few shows. If she is not champion material, or I find that she does have some health issues, then she will get fixed.

I just believe in doing a lot of research so I can make an informed decision. I am not looking to be a back yard breeder, nor do I have dreams of getting rich by running a kitty mill. I found a reputable breeder, and picked up a kitten that had the personality to be a good pet and hopefully a good show cat as well. I figured that the best way to get a lot of the answers I was looking for was to come to people who know the breed.