It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my cat a Bengal?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there...I inherited my cat , Zeus, (as a kitten) about 10 months ago and someone recently mentioned to me that he looks like a Bengal. After doing some research it sure seems possible - particularily the personality! I can't keep him out of the water.

I don't know that much about his background but I'd be interested to know what folks think...but I can't figure out how post a pic lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hey jojomama,

There are how to's for uploading pics in the gallery thread. I set up an account with photobucket and just use their sharing links for bbcode.

Let me know if you need more help & I'll post a proper reply when I'm at my computer rather than on my phone :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your Zeus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Im guessing no, if he has no papers, traits dont mean much, some of my bengals hate water, some of my ragdolls get in the shower with me! and plus he is a magic cat as he is invisable ;) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I guess I'm just kind of interested in his heritage lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 pm 
Bengal Kitten

OK I'm not sure if this is work but I'm trying to post a pic of Zeus for your perusal :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Well I can see why people would say he looks like a Bengal! I have no idea about how to tell if a cat is a particular breed or if its even possible without pedigree papers, but he's certainly got a beautiful coat :)

Thank you for sharing your picture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He is a lovely moggie or 'domestic tabby' :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

he looks like the ratbag tabby cat that tries to make friends with me nearly every day. Good looking but not a bengal. 8)

Post subject: Re: Is my cat a Bengal?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 am 
Senior Bengal

I think he looks bengal. Not all bengals had very defined spots etc. Not all purebred bengals have to have pedigrees either, esp seems common in the US. His face seems to have all the bengal markings (black lines by the eyes) also has the black tip tail, black paw pads, spots on his sides etc. Does he have a spotted belly? Sure looks bengal to me....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

2bengalboys wrote:
I think he looks bengal. Not all bengals had very defined spots etc. Not all purebred bengals have to have pedigrees either, esp seems common in the US. His face seems to have all the bengal markings (black lines by the eyes) also has the black tip tail, black paw pads, spots on his sides etc. Does he have a spotted belly? Sure looks bengal to me....

I'm not sure where you are getting that US part from. I have not encountered this anywhere. If someone told me that they had a non-pedigree, but simultaneously purebred bengal to sell me, I'd ask if they were also selling bridges. As for those traits, really NONE of them are bengal specific. To me it looks like he has a lot more stripes and rib barring than real spots, and his coat is very ticked. He's a lovely tabby, but he doesn't look very bengalish to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

2bengalboys wrote:

All those markings are actually tabby markings. Bengals have them as do pretty much every other tabby cat whether moggy or pedigree, when you look at a pedigree of a brown spotted/rosetted bengal you can see BST written after the SBT number on the pedigree underneath the cats name, this stands for brown spotted tabby and is what a brown rosetted bengal is refered to.

If a cat comes without a pedigree and without registration papers it is usually because it is not actually a purebreed cat. Even if it is a purebreed cat then it has been bred form cats who should not have been used for breeding as there is no reason not to register a pedigree kitten from active registered cats. It is cheap to register kittens so don't be fooled by someone saying they sell their kittens unregistered to save money and therefore can sell the kitten at a reduced price.

jojomama your cat is a lovely tabby moggy, deffinitely not a bengal but beautiful none the less :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tica registrations SBT = Stud Book Tradition

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes SBT or stud book tradition means that the cat is at least 5 generations away from the Asian Leopard cat. This is written underneath the pedigree name of the cat in front of the registration number on most pedigrees and on some pedigrees the colour of the cat is also written after the registration number for example on this pedigree:

http://www.bengalpedigrees.com/print.ph ... 8031&gen=5